DEAKIN UNIVERSITY (VIC)
An award-winning Smarter Parking Solution
Deakin University was after a parking, permit and enforcement solution that can replace its existing legacy infrastructure and will answer their very specific requirements. This project ended being awarded the Deakin Vice-Chancellor’s “2017 Award for Outstanding Contribution through Innovation that Spans the Experience promise”.
The project for Deakin University included an integrated parking management system for open air and non-gated multi-level car parks. The extensive rollout began in November 2015 and consisted of these solutions: CellOPark PAYG (Pay-by-App, Pay-By-Plate machines, Pay-by-Phone, Pay-by-Web), ), Mobile LPR, web-based enforcement validation tools and the vPermit (Virtual parking permits) payment solution including integration with legacy Systems within the University such as payroll, Student Identity, Staff Identity
THE CHALLENGES SCS ADDRESSED
1. CUSTOMISATION – The university required customised development to allow for the integration to their internal systems (like HR, finance etc.).
2. MULTI CHANNELS – The parking project was further expanded to integrate with Pay-by-Plate machines combined with vCompliance and Mobile License Plate Recognition.
3. DATA-DRIVEN – Enabling the parking management to gather data and enhance decision making and resource allocation.
4. IMPROVED WORKING CONDITIONS – helping enhance the working conditions of Deakin University’s enforcement officers.
5. ENHANCE THE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE – by making parking easier in terms of ease of payment and reducing frustration arising from inoperative machines or the need to return to the vehicle to display a ticket.
6. REDUCE COSTS – By reducing the need to introduce and/or replace expensive Pay & Display meter equipment and to avoid the associated capital expenditure.
7. INCREASED REVENUES – by properly collecting all parking fees due to Deakin University from end-users.
1. BETTER SAVINGS FOR MOTORISTS – Through the implementation of Pay-as-you-Go permit solution, Deakin has managed to save the average motorist over 25% on their previous parking costs. Now motorists only pay for the time they actually parked for as opposed to loading up machine and hoping for the best.
2. AN ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY – As mentioned in the news – we were able to “move Deakin’s archaic parking permit and enforcement processes into the 21st Century”.
3. A GREENER, CHEAPER MORE EFFICINET PROCESS – The virtual permit platform has provided huge increases in efficiency, reduced costs by offering a greener solution to providing parking permits. Permits are no longer required to be printed and displayed and this has meant that Deakin has reduced costly permit machine infrastructure by 71% and queuing for permits has become a thing of the past.
4. AN AWARD WINNING PROJECT – This Cloud parking solution was recently awarded the Deakin Vice-Chancellor’s “2017 Award for Outstanding Contribution through Innovation that Spans the Experience promise”. The success of the system has been witnessed by the high uptake of users to the new platform.